American Urological Association - Efferent Ductules
- Consist of 12-18 convoluted tubules that arise from the rete testis and the base connects to epididymis (image A).
- Some cells are tall columnar and ciliated (propel spermatozoa to epididymis) and some are short and non-ciliated (absorptive function) (image B).
- May contain yellow-brown pigment.
- Overall appearance is therefore of a "saw tooth pattern" of tall cells alternating with short cells.
- A thin band of smooth muscle surrounds each ductule.