American Urological Association - Epididymis
- Functions to accumulate and store spermatozoa, during which time the sperm gain motility.
- Consists of a very long (5-6 meters) highly convoluted single duct extending down the posterior aspect of the testis to the lower pole, where it becomes the ductus deferens (image A).
- Tube of smooth muscle lined by pseudostratified ciliated epithelium and basal cells (image B).
- Single layer of smooth muscle proximally; 3 layers distally.
- General appearance is "smooth" lined tubules (as opposed to sawtooth border of the efferent ductules).
- Transit time for sperm: 12 days.