American Urological Association - Renomedullary Interstitial Tumor
Renomedullary Interstitial Tumor
- Small benign tumor composed of renomedullary interstitial cells.
- Some have suggested that these tumors may have developed as response to hypertension.
- Almost all are incidental finding, found in up to 40% of adult autopsies.
- Small (<5mm), well circumscribed pale gray solid nodules in the medulla (image A).
- May be multiple or very rarely may form larger mass.
- Relatively acellular, with small stellate cells and entrapped renal tubules in a connective tissue matrix (image B).
- Benign course.