Pathology for Urologists
- Characterized by multiple air blebs within the bladder mucosa and wall.
- More common in females and often associated with diabetes (70%).
- Cystoscopy may show distorted or expanded bladder with lumps covered by intact mucosa.
- Caused by gas-forming bacteria such as Escherichia coli and Aerobacter aerogenes.
- Multiple variably sized gas-filled cavities interspersed in mucosa and muscularis propria.
- Flattened cells with occasional foreign body type giant cells line the cavities.
© 2017 American Urological Association Education and Research Inc. All Rights Reserved.