2014 AUA Summer Research Conference Travel Award
2014 AUA Summer Research Conference
"Patient Phenotyping: Advancing Treatment of Lower Urinary Tract Dysfunction"
September 13 – 14, 2014
Travel Award Application Information
Travel awards are available on a competitive basis to Early Career Investigators* and Trainees interested in attending the Summer Research Conference. Travel awards will be paid directly to the awardees to assist in covering expenses in accordance with AUA guidelines. Travel award funds may only be used for airfare, ground transportation, and lodging at the meeting host hotel associated with attendance of the 2014 Summer Research Conference. Travel awards of up to $1,000 are available for early career investigators. But hurry, the application deadline is August 15, 2014!
*Early career investigators are defined as an MD or PhD, or having an equivalent doctoral-level degree, who are actively engaged in research and within 10 years of completion of a residency or fellowship, or from completing requirements for a PhD at the date of application.
Preparation of the Travel Award Application Package
- Submit an NIH biosketch. Use Section A: Personal Statement to describe your research activities and indicating how these activities will contribute to and benefit from attending this meeting. (PHS 398/2590 (Rev. 06/09), Biographical Sketch Format Page)
- Provide a letter of recommendation (up to one page) from your department chair or program director documenting why you should attend this meeting and the need for the travel award.
- Register for the Summer Research Conference by calling 1-800-908-9414.
NOTE: You must register and pay the $100 registration fee and include your confirmation in the travel application package.
- Please submit a travel budget using page four "Detailed Budget for Initial Budget Period" of the PHS 398 detailed budget page. The applicant will list their name at the top as the Primary Investigator and need only complete the portion for direct travel costs, detailing the estimates for air and ground transportation (parking, taxi, personal vehicle mileage).
- Arrange and submit all documents in the following order: 1) Travel Award Application Form, 2) registration confirmation, 3) biosketch, containing the Personal Statement, 4) budget, and 5) letter of recommendation.
- Scan the documents into a single .pdf file and upload the application package to the Summer Research Conference website www.auanet.org/research/travel_award.cfm?event=SRC. On the website you may log in using your AUA ID# or create a new profile. **Applicants are not required to be members of the AUA**. Once logged in, complete the Travel Award Application Form and upload the single .pdf file with the documents listed above in item #5.
The deadline to apply for travel awards is August 15, 2014.
Criteria for Selection
- The selection committee will consider current research interests and applicant professional background in selecting recipients.
- Applicant must be associated with a recognized academic residency or fellowship program, or with a funded research laboratory.
- Review criteria for travel awards will include:
- Degree to which attending this meeting will influence the applicant's research and career development.
- Financial need
- Special consideration will be given to individuals of underrepresented racial or ethnic groups.
Travel Award Payments
- The deadline to apply for travel awards is August 15, 2014. All applicants will informed of the funding decisions no later than August 18, 2014.
- Travel awardees must submit an IRS Form W-9 and are responsible for any taxes.
- Travel awardees must attend the entire meeting unless approved in advance by the Office of Research. Checks will be given to the travel awardees at the end of the meeting.
If you have questions regarding travel awards or experience technical difficulties, please contact Rodney Cotten by phone at 443-257-3164 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.