- AUA Frequently Asked Questions on Telehealth [pdf]
- AUA Whitepaper: Telemedicine in Urology (includes guidance to help members who are considering providing telehealth services to their patients)
- Insurance Coverage and State Legislation Tracking Spreadsheet [.xlsx]
AUA Telehealth A to Z Webinar
As many urologists turn to telehealth as a way to maintain access to their patients while promoting good public health through social distancing, many in the urology community have questions about how to get started and how to ensure your practice is compliant with federal and state rules, regulations and coding requirements. View the AUA’s April 14 webinar to get the answers you need.
Getting Started with Telemedicine
Getting your Practice Up and Running with Telemedicine with Dr. Eugene Rhee
Dr. Eugene Rhee discusses getting your practice up and running with telemedicine on today's podcast. Dr. Rhee's comments include special considerations given the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic's impact on healthcare delivery in the United States.
- ACP: Telemedicine: A Practical Guide for Incorporation into your Practice
- AHRQ Sample Telemedicine Consent Form NEW
- AMA Quick Guide to Telemedicine in Practice
- American Telemedicine Association
- CMS: Telehealth Toolkit for General Practitioners
Coding and Payment
Coding for Virtual Visits with Dr. Jonathan Rubenstein
Dr. Jonathan Rubenstein joins our podcast to provide an update on getting paid for virtual visits during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
- AMA Coding Advice and Scenarios
- AMA: Medicare Payent Policies
- CMS: Medicare Coverage and Payment of Virtual Services (Video) NEW
- CMS: Medicare Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) 5/1/2020 (For telehealth changes, see page 24-35)
- CMS: Medicare Advantage and Part D Sponsor Guidance (Some MA plans have expanded telehealth services; inquiries should be directed to the specific plan.)
- CMS: FAQ for State Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Program Agencies (Medicaid eligibility and reimbursement for telehealth vary by state. Check with your state’s Medicaid Administrator regarding rules and regulations.)
Note: Private payor reimbursement for telehealth varies by state. Contact the applicable private insurer to find out what telemedicine services are being reimbursed. The AUA’s tracking spreadsheet at the top of this page provides additional guidance.
Telehealth Regulatory Changes
Medicare Intermin Rules and Waivers
- CMS Expansion of Telehealth Benefits Press Release March 17, 2020
- CMS: Medicare Telemedicine Health Care Provider Fact Sheet March 17, 2020
- CMS: Medicare Telehealth Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) March 17, 2020
- CMS Interim Final Rule Press Release March 30, 2020
- CMS Physicians and Other Clinicians Fact Sheet April 29, 2020
- CMS 2nd Interim Final Rule Press Release April 30, 2020
COVID-19: Understanding HIPAA Relief Provisions for Telehealth with Alisa Chestler
More providers than ever are using telehealth services to continue seeing and treating patients during the COVID-19 pandemic. The federal government has taken a number of measures to ease the way for this transition, including issuing waivers for certain provisions of the Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act (HIPAA). Alisa Chestler of Baker Donelson discusses what providers need to know.
- Office of Inspector General (OIG) Statement on Reduced/Waived Cost-Sharing for Telehealth During the COVID-19 Pandemic. (View related FAQs)
- Office of Civil Rights Notification of Enforcement Discretion for HIPAA Waivers for Telehealth Services. (View related FAQs)
- Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) Guidance for Prescriptions of Schedule II-V Drugs During the COVID-19 Pandemic.