From the Chief Executive Officer: Balancing Practice with Personal: Value of Self-care
By: Mike Sheppard, CPA, CAE | Posted on: 01 May 2021
As COVID-19 continues to surge in many countries and positive cases of the virus persist, it is hard to believe we recently passed the one-year mark of this global pandemic. As such, it is important we remain mindful of our mental, emotional and physical well-being. When asked, nearly 80 percent of AUA members felt the mental health of their colleagues and themselves were challenged during this pandemic, which is why it is important to prioritize your health and commit to self-care strategies to reduce initial stress and the risk of burnout.
Here are some tips on how you can improve quality of life and resilience for yourself, colleagues and staff.
As an Individual:
- Develop or follow a self-care plan
- Eat, drink and sleep regularly
- Keep active
- Avoid excessive intake of caffeine or sugar
- Practice relaxation or meditative techniques to rest your mind
- Take that needed break, even if for 2 minutes
- Seek support from a variety of resources including your colleagues, a mentor or a peer support group
- Show yourself the same compassion you would a friend or patient
- Discuss the emotional and social challenges with your team of coworkers – they could be experiencing similar challenges
As a Department Lead:
- Hold regular departmental and/or interdepartmental meetings to build team cohesion and improve communication and shared decision-making
- Provide clear guidance on changing policies and procedures
- Provide access to your organization’s wellness program
- Set up a decompression room with snacks, books or music
- Recognize and respect differences amongst staff, such as needing to talk versus needing to be alone
- Recognize individuals for their service whenever possible
As we remain resilient and unified in our specialty, one of the best ways to remain hopeful for the future and connected to each other is to register for the 2021 Annual Meeting this September in Las Vegas. Register today at www.AUA2021.org. I’m looking forward to seeing you there!