In 2013, the AUA joined the Choosing Wisely® campaign, an initiative of the ABIM Foundation. We released a list of specific tests or procedures that are commonly ordered but not always necessary in urology. The list was expanded in 2015 and 2017, bringing the AUA's total number of recommendations to fifteen. The full list identifies targeted, evidence-based recommendations that can support conversations between patients and physicians about what care is necessary.
AUA Choosing Wisely Resources
- AUA List of 15 Things Physicians and Patients Should Question [pdf]
- Using Opioids Safely After Surgery [pdf]
- El Uso Seguro de los Opioides Después de una Cirugía [Español]
- PSA Tests for Prostate Cancer [pdf]
- Antibiotics for People With Catheters [pdf]
- Test and Treatments for Prostate Cancer: The Latest [pdf]
- Treatment for Erection Problems [pdf]
- Tratamiento para los problemas de erección [Español]
Other Choosing Wisely Resources
- AMA Stepsforward: Choosing Wisely®: Promote Patient-Physician Conversations to Improve Patient Engagement and Choose Appropriate Care (0.5 Credit CME)
- Antibiotics for Urinary Tract Infections in Older People (American Geriatric Society)
- Low–Risk Prostate Cancer (American Society for Radiation Oncology)
- Overactive Bladder and Pelvic Organ Prolapse (American Urogynecologic Society)
For more information, please visit www.ChoosingWisely.org.