The AUA works with Sections and state societies to monitor and address legislation and regulation that affects the urology community. Originally approved by the AUA Board of Directors in 2007, the State Advocacy Program is the AUA's flagship effort to encourage and support members to become effective state-level advocates for their patients and profession by:
- Actively tracking, monitoring, and reporting on state level legislative and regulatory issues. Click the map below to see what pending legislation the AUA is monitoring in your state.
- Encouraging AUA members to build relationships with their state and federal representatives by hosting them for a tour of their practices and a discussion of relevant issues.
- Facilitating communication amongst physicians involved at the state, section, and national levels as issues arise by sharing information, contacts, and communications tools.
- Encouraging members to attend state medical society's or state urological society's legislative lobbying day at the state capitol.
- Partnering physician leaders with AUA expert staff members for presentations at Section or state societies' annual meeting on a variety of health policy/legislative topics.
The AUA is actively working at the state level on the following issues:
- Affordable Care Act Implementation
- Physician Payment and Coverage Issues