Medical Student Membership Workgroup
Since launching its Medical Student membership category in 2012, the AUA has seen extensive growth in this unique membership segment and now boasts more than 2,000 medical student members worldwide. In Fall 2023, the AUA Section Secretaries Membership Council (SSMC), approved the formation of a Medical Student Membership Workgroup to help the AUA better understand and meet the needs of medical students looking to pursue a career in urology.
The membership of the Medical Student Membership Workgroup will include eight voting medical student members, representing the geographic boundaries of the eight AUA Sections, as well as representatives from R. Frank Jones Urological Society, The Society of Women in Urology and Urology Unbound. In addition, the Committee will include physician liaisons from the AUA Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee, AUA Medical Student Education Committee, AUA Residents and Fellows Committee and the Society for Academic Urologists.
The Medical Student Membership Workgroup is now accepting applications for the upcoming 2024-2025 term! If you are a medical student member interested in being part of the workgroup, please review the workgroup details and eligibility requirements below. Applications are due no later than December 20, 2023.
The AUA Medical Student Membership Workgroup will foster and grow a strong network of engaged medical students that can facilitate AUA’s understanding of medical student needs. It will also aim to expand AUA’s reach and influence among medical students while supporting efforts to increase diversity in the field of urology by engaging Under-Represented in Medicine (URM) medical students.
Workgroup Member Eligibility Requirements:
- Current member of the AUA in the Medical Student category (Note: AUA membership for medical students is free)
- Enrolled as a medical student in an accredited MD or DO program (years two through four during term(s) of service) within AUA Section boundaries
Workgroup Member Qualifications/Responsibilities:
- Desire to assess and address the needs of medical student members of the AUA
- Willingness to contribute to and execute action plans of the workgroup
- Must be available to participate in 2-3 teleconferences per year and one in-person meeting at the AUA Annual Meeting
- Brief statement of interest (50-100 words)
- Curriculum Vitae
- One letter of recommendation from an AUA member
Eight positions are available for the 2024-2025 term. The AUA will make an effort to select one candidate within the geographic boundary of each of the AUA Sections. Candidates must apply by the December 20, 2023 deadline. Late applications will not be accepted. Notification of decisions will be sent by January 31, 2024. The first workgroup call (virtual) will be hosted in February 2024, with the inaugural meeting taking place at AUA2024 in San Antonio, TX.
Workgroup projects may include:
- Identify and contribute to AUA projects and/or initiatives to support medical students in navigating the Urology Residency Match process
- Assist in developing and implementing more effective mechanisms for AUA and UCF to promote initiatives and support opportunities for medical students (e.g., Boston Scientific Medical Student Innovation Fellowship program)
- Help promote urology and involvement in the AUA to underrepresented minorities
- Create valuable mentorship opportunities for medical students interested in the field of urology
If you have any questions, please contact Stephen Alleyne, AUA Member Engagement Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.