To prepare and educate urology residents and fellows in the legislative aspect of health policy.
Applications will be available starting January 18, 2023 and must arrive in AUA offices no later than April 7, 2023. Email submission will be accepted as long as they are in full.
- Completed Application
- Statement of interest (500 words minimum)
- Photograph (used for publications if selected)
- Two letters of recommendation (one of which must be from the Applicant’s Resident Director or Program Chair or equivalent)
- Letter of Authorization for participation from Applicant’s resident director (if applicable)
Based on careful review of the applications and accompanying materials, the H. Logan Holtgrewe Legislative Fellowship Program Selection Committee will select one (1) scholar for the 2023 program year. Applicants will be notified no later than May 5, 2023. Selection is based on a commitment to and strong interest in health policy issues as evidenced by:
- Enthusiasm and relevance of the applicant’s statement of interest
- Strength of recommendations from references
- Community service and volunteer activities relevant to health policy
- Letter from candidate’s supervisor verifying the candidate will be available for the travel and time allotted for the program.
Due to the requirements of the program, the recipient can expect a minimum 6 weeks away from one’s resident program or fellowship. The award recipient must agree to participate fully in all program activities. These include, but are not limited to:
- Participate in the Annual Urology Advocacy Summit in March
- Participation in four to six week fellowship with a Legislative office in Washington, DC
- Attend the Brandeis University Executive Leadership Program in Health Policy & Management in June
- Attend the Alliance of Specialty Medicine fly-in in Washington, DC in July
- Attend the Legislative Affairs Committee and Public Policy Council meetings conducted during the AUA Health Policy Weekend held in November
- The Fellow will provide a legislative update to Public Policy Council by the fall meeting in November of the year of the fellowship
All applicants will be notified no later than May 5, 2023 regarding their status.
Thanks to the generosity and commitment of the AUA Board of Directors to this program, the AUA will cover all travel, lodging and legitimate expenses associated with program participation. There will be no out-of-pocket expenses associated with the chosen candidate’s participation in this program.
Jeremy Haines, AUA Legislative & Political Affairs Department
Applicant Statement: (Please type or print)
I hereby apply for the 2023 H. Logan Holtgrewe Legislative Fellowship Program. I am a member in good standing of the American Urological Association (AUA). I am also currently licensed to practice without restriction. I agree, if chosen, to participate in all required activities. All statements made in this application are complete and true to the best of my knowledge.
APPLICANT’S SIGNATURE DATE
LAST NAME: FIRST NAME: MIDDLE NAME:
MAI LING ADDRESS:
CITY: STATE: ZIP CODE:
PHONE*: EMAIL*: FAX*:
* By giving us your phone, fax and e-mail, you give us permission to correspond via these modes.
Please provide 2 letters of recommendation (one of which must be from your Resident Director or Program Chair or equivalent) attesting to your interest and commitment in health policy issues.
Provide a personal statement describing your experience and/or interest in health policy issues of importance to urology and why the H. Logan Holtgrewe Subcommittee of the Health Policy Council should select you to participate in this program. Tell us about your health policy related professional interests, AUA interests and experience, and how you hope to contribute to the advancement of urology’s agenda. Limit your essay to 500 words, typed and double spaced.
Provide a recent photograph for publication should you be selected.
Please provide your C.V. along with an expanded page on personal and professional leadership experiences, volunteerism, advocacy and interests relevant to health policy.
E-mail/Complete On-line Form with original completed application and attachments set to arrive no later than April 7, 2023.
Email completed application and attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org
Work Mailing Address